Re: [Evolution] Speed of restore - Evolution 3.2.3

On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 10:30 +0000, Steve T wrote:
Evolution 3.2.3 Fedora 16 Gnome 3

I have a 'minor' issue with the speed of restores under Evolution 3.2.3.
I keep two laptops in sync, by backing up Evolution on the 'master' and
restoring it on the 'back-up'. This works ok but has become noticeably
slower after using a NAS device to store the backup.
The backup tar itself is circa 2GB for a 4GB installation. What appears
to occur is that the backup tar file is scanned multiple times before
the restore begins in earnest. It seems to check the tar file for the
existence of a directory control file, then after finding it, scan the
file to restore it, then presumably after inspecting the contents of the
control file, extracts the tar file to the indicated directory
structure. I'm not sure that is what happens, but it looks like what is
happening when I 'ps' the tasks while the restore is running.

The speed issue is partly caused by the speed of the NAS and the
network, but has anyone else had timing issue with large'ish restores?

A couple of points:

1) You don't say how the NAS is connected. NFS? Samba? Rsync? Rsync is
possibly more efficient in this use case, since all the heavy lifting
will be done on the end machines rather than the NAS.

2) AFAIK Evo backup and restore is not really designed for this
scenario. It's more for migrating to a new system. In fact I never use
it even for regular backups as I already back up my entire account.
(Doesn't everybody?)

poc