Re: [Evolution] Error while fetching mail

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 10:41 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 20:26 -0700, Per Magne Knutsen wrote:
> and more specifically the answer from Matthew Barnes at
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2012-May/msg00166.html
> I don't really see what is inconvenient about having the composer window
> open while the mail is sending - it's not as if it blocks anything and
> it doesn't stop you from composing any other mails.

And you get a momentary Cancel button, which can be handy.

It did annoy me a bit at first, but it remains open only momentarily,
and I've gotten used to it.  Plus, as indicated at msg00166, it
represents a real improvement in Evolution's technique.

Thanks for both answers.

My apologies for sending out the query with the wrong Subject. I started writing my message with a different error in mind. Also, sorry for not finding your links in my search. Clearly, I'll have to be more careful next time posting.

The post by Matthew Barnes you linked to was particularly helpful, as it explains the rationale for the synchronous send feature (i.e. not depending on a full Evolution session to launch to send a message when e.g. clicking a mailto: link). That made sense, and its probably the way it ought to be, taking into account the Composer habits of most users. Its clear to me that the developers have carefully considered their options and clearly improved Evolution.

In my youth (whatever that means), I have been beaten by how often respondents respond to a post by downplaying the reported issue, when in fact the issue was already reported to be a hindrance to the original poster.

See, for me the synchrounous send feature does in fact take a hit on my productivity. I don't send an occasional email every hour or so; at peak, I may find myself answering hundreds of messages a day. The Sending... message in my case appears for 5 seconds or more before the email is confirmed Sent. Multiply worst case with worst case scenario and the minutes add up. Although I can return to Evolution to compose a new message, this involves 1-2 more mouse clicks.

This is not a major issue. Evolution is great as-is. The new Composer behavior is just a minor annoyance, although it comes with a benefit too. Matthew Barnes suggested in his post to add a Send Later option (preferably available with a Ctrl+?? keystroke) that would place the message in the Outbox until the next Send. I think that's a good idea, as I can see how it would improve the workflow when editing a large number of message, as in my case.