Re: [Evolution] Moving from evolution to evolution

On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 12:00 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
It seems to me that all the people who have had problems with the
upgrade process recently have been Ubuntu users and I wonder if there is
something they've done in the packaging or configuration that is causing
problems.

I'm still a little confused as to why so many users seem to feel the
need to backup and restore their personal data just to upgrade their
operating system in place.  Backing up of course is a prudent safety
measure, but if the upgrade goes smoothly there should be no need to
restore the backup.

Are there actually distro installers that don't allow you to upgrade
without nuking your home directory, or do some installers not make that
option clear enough, or am I just misunderstanding the problem?

There does seem to be a large concentration of Ubuntu users reporting
these kinds of problems, but that might just be a statistical anomaly
rather than something Ubuntu is doing wrong.

Matthew Barnes