Re: [Evolution] I guess I am going to have to change my e-maill address.

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 14:41 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Paul's unattended mail
<paul murphy-eo5svjlg cool fr nf> wrote:
The new address should not be given to anyone.
While I understand what you meant, that would kind of defeat the
purpose of email, no? =p

Yes, and why this whole notion of hidden and revolving and multiple
addresses is just stupid;  suddenly it is very difficult for me to
contact someone I have a legitimate reason to communicate with.

I've had the address awilliam whitemice org for decades, never hidden
it, it is published *everywhere* from PDF files to Usenet groups to mail
list archives.  The SPAM level is pretty minimal.   And people I haven't
communicated with for a decade can still contact me if they need to.

Please do not break e-mail, just learn to use the tools.

For me it is (a) SPAMhause RBL, (b) greylist milter, and (c)
SPAMAssasin.  All pretty basic setup, requires basically zero
care-and-feeding.  Any ISP or whomever should be able to provide an
equivalent [or better].  I'm certains FastMAIL.fm provides a good
solution if you need it from a third-party [if you go with a third-party
please choose one that is actually Open and supports Open Source as
something beyond a ramp into proprietary services and protocols].

I'd advise you to *not* rely on 'local' solutions like Junk mail filters
- this is a job for the mail server - I just set a SIEVE rule to place
everything categorized as SPAM into the SPAM folder - then it happens
even if I don't check my mail.