Re: [Evolution] How to handle unsolicited e-mails with evolution 2.32.2 ?

Am Sonntag, den 27.11.2011, 11:04 +0000 schrieb Pete Biggs:
I configured the server, not to do so - why else would I want local spam
detection ???

If the server has been setup to do spam detection, why on earth did you
disable it?
... because I want to control here by myself, what is spam and what not ;-)

As mentioned before, I donÂt need an initialized filter.

You *need* to train it - it's how it works - although I see from a later
message that what you mean is that you *have* already done that.
I thought I did, I hoped I did it - but I donÂt KNOW if I did it :-(((
IÂd be glad if it would work after being presented 100 spam by the
evolutuion-built-in classificator (that wadded paper thing) - but it
doesnÂt.
So the question is: How can I check, if bogofilter is learning at all ?

I don't use bogofilter - I've never looked at it before this - but it is
clear from the bogofilter FAQ on the bogofilter site at

  http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml

that it is relatively easy to use bogoutil to report the state of the
database in terms of how much it's learned etc.  No doubt there is also
a way of poking a message through bogofilter itself to see if it does
indeed clasify something a spam outside of Evolution.
ThatÂs exactly the site, IÂve been reading up and down all morning.
Maybe IÂm dumb, maybe IÂm german - but: where the hell is the use of
bogoutil to check the installation described ?
I donÂt want to compact my DB, I donÂt want to convert or switch
anything, I donÂt want to ignore tokens, I didnÂt remove tokens nor do I
want to do that. I just want that filter to filter :-O

Anyway ...
bogoutil -d .bogofilter/wordlist.db |wc -|
displays: > --- VERY HELPFUL

bogoutil -w .bogofilter/wordlist.db .MSG_COUNT
displays: 895 spam 6 good
SO WHAT ? IsnÂt 895 mails enough to learn a bit ?

bogoutil -p .bogofilter/wordlist.db thomas
displays:
spam    good    Fisher
1       0       0.991605
What the hell does that mean ?
Found 1 spam-mail including the word "thomas", found no good mail with
it, so with 0.991605[dimensionless somethings created by Fisher], all
mails including "thomas" are spam ???

In the meantime I thought it canÂt get worse, however ...
dbverify -a .bogofilter/wordlist.db
Fehler in der Datenbank: -- DB ist eine Datei, kein Verzeichnis.
That means, itÂs an error, that the DB is a file, not a directory ?:-|

... and
What is a non-transaction mode ???
Does that make sense ??? Database, that does no transactions ???
Databases I set up, are always doing transactions ...

Sorry for stepping on peopleÂs toes, but thatÂs the most disconcerting
FAQ ever read :-(

--
Peace,
Thomas