Re: [Evolution] How to handle unsolicited e-mails with evolution 2.32.2 ?

Am Samstag, den 26.11.2011, 19:10 -0430 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:

Getting back to the question: under Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk
there's a drop-down menu to select which spam filter is the default. It
also checks that the appropriate binary is installed. It's my
understanding that Evo will only use the default plugin, even if both
are installed and selected in the main Plugins menu. However this
... so thought I, but it isnÂt just too much work to uncheck the unused
filter ;-) (if only those were problems ...)
applies only to what Evo itself is doing. Your mail may already have
been marked as spam on its way to Evo, either at the mail server or in a
I configured the server, not to do so - why else would I want local spam
detection ???
mail fetcher in your own machine (if you use one). Many servers have
SpamAssassin installed, and they could be marking messages as spam. In
that case, if "Check custom headers for junk" is selected, any matching
messages will *not* be passed through the default plugin, they'll just
be assumed to be spam.
WeÂre coming to the point:
However your problem seems to be the reverse, i.e. you're getting spam
in your inbox. In that case, it's a strong indicator that the filter has
not learned enough to distinguish between ham and spam. The way to deal
with that is to train it. The exact method varies according to the
filter, but with Bogofilter (the one I use), the easiest way to to save
a bunch of spam messages (the more the better but around 100 is a good
number) in an mbox file and run "bogofilter -M -s < file". Do the same
with a bunch of non-spam messages (using '-n' instead of '-s') and
you'll have an initial corpus that Bogofilter can use.
As mentioned before, I donÂt need an initialized filter.
IÂd be glad if it would work after being presented 100 spam by the
evolutuion-built-in classificator (that wadded paper thing) - but it
doesnÂt.
So the question is: How can I check, if bogofilter is learning at all ?

--
Best,
Thomas