Re: [Evolution] login password

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 11:01 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 09:24 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Why does it keep my mail account password in the Gnome keyring?

Because that's how it's programmed.

As to philosophically why it does it, I presume that's because it
removes the need for the programmers to implement (and maintain) a
secure store for passwords -

So, Thunderbird implements and maintains a secure store for mail
passwords without the need for me to reveal my login password?  But
evolution programmers expect my login password in order to save them a
little added work?

Misunderstand something?
If you want developers to waste months of time, you can of course ask
them to reinvent the wheel by developing a local password storage system
on their own, or not use any re-used functionality already provided by
the GNOME platform, in order to increase the code size by three, make
everything slower and less tested by other applications.

In case you don't trust the applications you use, you can write your own
ones.

You have no other place to store passwords because you failed to design
and code a place to store passwords.

Wrong - See above.

My login password allows anyone with access to it, including evolution
developers, to perform actions requiring root permissions.

Completely wrong - See above.

Giving you access to my login password

Nobody does. Read the previous emails again, please.

andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper