Re: [Evolution] login password

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 09:24 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Why does it keep my mail account password in the Gnome keyring?

Because that's how it's programmed.

As to philosophically why it does it, I presume that's because it
removes the need for the programmers to implement (and maintain) a
secure store for passwords -

So, Thunderbird implements and maintains a secure store for mail
passwords without the need for me to reveal my login password?  But
evolution programmers expect my login password in order to save them a
little added work?

why do it when there is a gnome component
that is specifically designed to keep passwords safe.

Because my passwords being kept safe is for MY convenience, not yours.

 No other
application seems to require the password to my Gnome keyring.  I have
no experience with keyrings and such.  I have them all disabled on
startup.

If you have disabled Gnome keyring, then that's probably why it keeps
asking for your password - Evo has no other place to store passwords,

You have no other place to store passwords because you failed to design
and code a place to store passwords.

hence it needs to ask you for them each time.

And I don't think you need to be particularly "experienced" with them to
let a program use keyrings - it's just an encrypted store of passwords.

My login password allows anyone with access to it, including evolution
developers, to perform actions requiring root permissions. Giving you
access to my login password is a severe security breach, and all for
your convenience, not mine. Frankly, I am surprised that you have been
getting away it.  Haven't any other users complained?

P.