Re: [Evolution] login password

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 22:28 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 23:34 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 21:47 -0600, Albert Wagner wrote:
Why does Evolution need my login password?  I have never seen any other
application require such a thing, certainly not a mail client.
It doesn't. It requires the password to your Gnome keyring, which is
where is keeps your mail account passwords. Some people make the keyring
password the same as the login password, which IIRC is detected by the
Gnome system as a special case. Others don't do this.
Why does it keep my mail account password in the Gnome keyring? No other
application seems to require the password to my Gnome keyring.

?? Dozens of applications use the GNOME keyring; included Nautilus.

Install the excellent / awesome / amazing application known as
"Seahorse" for a very convenient / easy-to-use / well-designed interface
to your key ring and other password and encryption related tools.

<http://live.gnome.org/Seahorse>?

It is probably packaged for your distribution.

The keyring and Seahorse are your friends.

Did I mention that Seahorse rocks?  If not, it does.  Using things like
GPG/PGP was awfully hackish until Seahorse rode triumphantly onto the
battlefield.  I love that application.

There are even gedit plugins to easily encrypt / decrypt sections of a
text file via a right-click.  Sweet.