Re: [Evolution] Evolution's mega bandwidth hogging

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 13:40 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 06:32 -0500 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
Currently, it's connected to Gmail via IMAP+.
There is no reason to check-for-new-messages if you are using IMAP+ with
IDLE enabled.  That is the *point* of IDLE; the server notifies the
client of changes; the client does not need to poll the server.
If that is the case and if there is still an option available in the UI
of the IMAP+ account settings, I'd call that a UI bug.
Please file a ticket in bugzilla.gnome.org against Evolution.

I don't think so.  If you look at the IDLE option it says "(if
supported)".  Some server's don't support IDLE, so the user may want to
still poll [although at a *SANE* interval, *NOT* every minute].  Also
IDLE only is effective if the connection stays up [as it should, for at
least 30 minutes].  If the server or client closes the connection [1]
then IDLE can't work.  The same is true if the network is unreliable
[like a cellular connection] and the connection gets dropped.  So
setting the check-for-new mail to an interval like every-60-minutes
while having IDLE enabled makes sense.  IDLE works well [when supported]
and is very efficient, but the occasional poll is still required in most
cases.

[1] GMail used to do this a *lot* - GMail is *not* a real IMAP provider
- maybe they've fixed this - I don't know or care.