[Evolution] Evolution's mega bandwidth hogging

The last few days have been frustrating for me.  I'm a newbie to Ubuntu (of about two weeks).  On Windows, I used Gmail via the browser.  After installing Ubuntu, I decided to give Evolution a shot and like it a lot (since it's neatly integrated).

However, my bandwidth usage shot up to between one and two gigs per day, and I had no idea what was causing it.

Today, around 16 gigs later (after 10 days), it seems that Evolution is the cause.  I've done everything possible to find what's causing my traffic spike, and everything points to Evo.

My question is: how do you optimise Evo to use bandwidth efficiently?

Currently, it's connected to Gmail via IMAP+.  I only have Evo checking for new messages in subscribed folders (which is a handful).  It checks for new mail every minute (like it did in Outlook).

Advice / thoughts...