Re: [Evolution] Evolution's mega bandwidth hogging

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 11:35 +0200, Jeremy Nell wrote:
The last few days have been frustrating for me.  I'm a newbie to
Ubuntu (of about two weeks).  On Windows, I used Gmail via the
browser.  After installing Ubuntu, I decided to give Evolution a shot
and like it a lot (since it's neatly integrated)
However, my bandwidth usage shot up to between one and two gigs per
day, and I had no idea what was causing it.

I find this very hard to believe Evolution is the cause of this.  Have
you verified this though any substantive means?  Like Wireshark or,
easier, Etherape?

Today, around 16 gigs later (after 10 days), it seems that Evolution
is the cause.  I've done everything possible to find what's causing my
traffic spike, and everything points to Evo.

"done everything" includes what?

My question is: how do you optimise Evo to use bandwidth efficiently?
Currently, it's connected to Gmail via IMAP+.  I only have Evo
checking for new messages in subscribed folders (which is a handful).
It checks for new mail every minute (like it did in Outlook).
Advice / thoughts...

There is no reason to check-for-new-messages if you are using IMAP+ with
IDLE enabled.  That is the *point* of IDLE; the server notifies the
client of changes; the client does not need to poll the server.