Re: [Evolution] IMAP problems with Sent and Trash

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 08:58 +0200, Jeremy Nell wrote:
Thank you to those who helped me understand better about "On This
Computer" versus "Gmail" and the difference between POP and IMAP.

I took your advice and collapsed the "On This Computer" tab and set up
"Gmail" as  IMAP+.  I then changed the defaults to Drafts >
Gmail/drafts and Sent > Gmail/sent (otherwise my Sent items will end
up "On This Computer" in Evolution).

The Drafts folder is great.  If I save a draft, then it gets saved
there (as well as in my Gmail account, online).  However, the Sent
folder is empty and won't seem to populate.  How do I fix this?

Gmail stores all your sent mail in its Sent Mail folder. This has
already been explained before.

Also, the default Trash folder that appears under the Gmail tab (not
the one that falls under the Google Mail tree) seems to archive the
deleted mail, but then, after a few seconds, those emails vanish.
Why?

Read the Help page for Gmail IMAP, where there is discussion of issues
relating to Gmail's handling of Trash. IIRC there is a configuration
option in Gmail to change this somewhat but I don't think it can be made
to work exactly as normal IMAP servers work. I use Gmail and just don't
worry about it.

poc