Re: [Evolution] Been around the block again...

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 14:25 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

Wierd.  What IMAP server are you using?  Are you using Evo's IMAP
provider or the IMAP+ provider?
hm. Good point. I hadn't even realized it was IMAP+. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the diff?

Or go around them.  VPNs work well.  Or I just run an SMTP server for my
domain on a Linode that accepts SMTP submissions on TCP/21212.  Then you
can just tell Evolution {hostname}:21212 for the SMTP configuration.
Not a huge fan of VPNs. Especially for something as light as an SMTP connection. I use to use ssh tunnelling to reach my own server but then the provider stopped allowing shell access(was very surprised they allowed it in the first place!). Ironically I'm using a VPS server as of about a month ago but simply haven't had the time.

I'm intrigued by your SMTP suggestion though...Are you suggesting I run a local SMTP server service on my laptop? Wouldn't that still be subjected to the same scrutiny at the ISP?

Phil