Re: [Evolution] Been around the block again...

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 13:22 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 12:31 -0500, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
> Well, once again I've test driven all the other viable
> Linux/cross-platform MUAs out there and have returned to Evo. I do
> this to myself every few years because something was either
> frustrating me to no end or I felt I was lacking functionality in some
> way.
> This time around, it was both...I was frustrated to no end with the
> fact that every time I loose the connection to my IMAP folders Evo
> proceeds to unsubscribe me to most if not all my folders but the
> INBOX.

No way, it isn't Evolution doing that.  IMAP subscriptions are
server-side.  Evolution would have to specifically request
unsubscription for each folder.

>  One would think that's easily recoverable...Yes. Until you open the
> mote than 50 filters you have an realize the auto-update feature
> yanked the proverbial carpet out from under its own feet!

Are you talking about subscriptions or filters?
I'm saying the subscriptions are easily recovered by adding checkmark but that the lost link to the destination folder in the 50+ filters is not

> Case in point: I just created a search folder for archiving all my
> 2009 mail and am writing this msg while Evo searches - I do this every
> year. I create a search folder for the previous years and copy the
> folder out of ~/.evo. Well, for whatever reason for every folder the
> function parses Evo unsubscribes me from that folder

Do you mean you are manually editing the contents of the .evolution
folder? If so, don't.
cp ~/.evolution/mail/filters.xml ~/backup/filters.xml

> As far as lacking in functionality goes, I really enjoyed how granular
> Claws-Mails' msg filter settings were. Also from CM the ability to pre
> and post process messages is a thing of beauty. From TB, and I know
> this has been mentioned many times hear but...the separation of the
> SMTP settings in the accounts is a really strong feature. I realize
> one can create an SMTP account but it's much "cleaner" to have a SMTP
> section in the config for just that.

That is essentially what an SMTP-only account is.  When you reply from
folders in a given account it will default to the SMTP configuration for
that account.
I'm merely talking about the way the configuration is laid out under preferences. TB has a nice little section just for this purpose.

Phil