[Evolution] Been around the block again...

Well, once again I've test driven all the other viable Linux/cross-platform MUAs out there and have returned to Evo. I do this to myself every few years because something was either frustrating me to no end or I felt I was lacking functionality in some way.

This time around, it was both...I was frustrated to no end with the fact that every time I loose the connection to my IMAP folders Evo proceeds to unsubscribe me to most if not all my folders but the INBOX. One would think that's easily recoverable...Yes. Until you open the mote than 50 filters you have an realize the auto-update feature yanked the proverbial carpet out from under its own feet! Case in point: I just created a search folder for archiving all my 2009 mail and am writing this msg while Evo searches - I do this every year. I create a search folder for the previous years and copy the folder out of ~/.evo. Well, for whatever reason for every folder the function parses Evo unsubscribes me from that folder...And of course, before I have the time to realize it I see "auto-updating filters..."
I'm not in anyway blaming Evo for loosing the connection BTW. I'm a freelance desktop admin so I visit many networks most of which I'm forced to use wifi while I'm working and...Again...you can see where this is headed. Anyway. All this to say it would be *really* nice if one could toggle "auto-update rules when folders(or whatever else) changes".

As far as lacking in functionality goes, I really enjoyed how granular Claws-Mails' msg filter settings were. Also from CM the ability to pre and post process messages is a thing of beauty. From TB, and I know this has been mentioned many times hear but...the separation of the SMTP settings in the accounts is a really strong feature. I realize one can create an SMTP account but it's much "cleaner" to have a SMTP section in the config for just that. I notice that allot because I, like many, use a different MTA almost per network - some allow relay but most don't anymore. So having a little section just for that is really nice.

The other thing I noticed this time around as opposed to the others is just how well balanced Evo really is. It goes without saying there's a reason why I keep landing back on Evo as my MUA every time I do this. One might say I'm landing back on my feet! So thanks to all the community for contributing and the devs for maintaining this project.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Phil