Re: [Evolution] Evolution doesn't save Mail Account's passwords

Hi Pete,

Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> writes:

I'm not being using nor gnome neither kde, but only Window Maker. WM is
a window manager. So I have no gnome keyring and similar in kde.

By default Evo uses gnome-keyring to store passwords.  There used to be
fall-back, but I don't know if that still exists in 3.2.  If Evo can't
get access to a secure store for passwords, then it will ask each
time.

If you are running Evo under WM, then you must have a fair bit of the
Gnome system installed anyway, so you may already have gnome-keyring on
there anyway (since lots of gnome components use it) - it may just be
that you need to configure it properly.

I haven't installed the debian package: gnome-keyring but have installed
libgnome-keyring-common, libgnome-keyring0 instead.

Searching on the system with 'mlocate libgnome-keyring' gives result:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0
 (...)
/usr/share/doc/libgnome-keyring0/README

less /usr/share/doc/libgnome-keyring-common/README
gnome-keyring is a program that keep password and other secrets for
users. The library libgnome-keyring is used by applications to integrate
with the gnome keyring system.

So I find with Google this web site:
How to configure applications to use Gnome Keyring certificates and keys
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/ApplicationSetup

And under Evolution header a command:
modutil -add gnome-keyring -libfile
/usr/lib/gnome-keyring/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so -mechanisms RSA:DSA \
-dbdir ~/.evolution/

but I haven't any gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so file on my system.

May I try the following command (but haven't ~/.evolution/ directory at
all)?

modutil -add gnome-keyring -libfile \
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0 -mechanisms RSA:DSA \
-dbdir ~/.evolution/

--
Regards, Pal