Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Gmail

See http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78755 and
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892

So does this answer the OP question?  When you delete a message using
IMAP it will be moved to the [Gmail]/Trash folder because that's where
its label indicates it should be?

As far as I can see the message simply disappears when I delete it in
Evo and is not moved to the [Gmail]/Trash folder as I would want it to
be. It's not placed in the local trash either.

As others have said (and I've now found by experimenting) the IMAP
delete just removes the label - so the mail doesn't appear anywhere
unless you select "All Mail".

This is surely a Google "feature" and not something that Evo can (or
should) deal with.

 All it would take is to
add an option in Evo where you could set where deleted mail should go
just like for Drafts and Sent.

No. Because of the way IMAP works moving mail to a "Trash" folder will
cause too many problems - IMAP has a method for dealing with deleted
mail (i.e. mark as deleted, then expunge) for a reason and fiddling with
it creates too many other cludges elsewhere.  There are lots of
discussions on this list in the past about it.

 Other e-mail clients has while
Thunderbird has a custom setting having the Gmail trash folder used.
That could be the other option for Evo: A custom setting for Gmail.

So because Gmail decides to break a standard, Evo has to program around
it?

P.