Re: [Evolution] Schedule a filter?

I suppose my problem is my email space is very limited at my new company
compared to the amount of automated mail coming in.  That's why I'd like
to purge mail after a couple of days.  But your tools require me to do
that MANUALLY.

"Your"?? This is a list for users of Evo, not many developers around
here!

Yes, Reid,the filters seem to work fine when applied manually.  That's
not what I'm asking for.  At first I assumed that filters would work on
incoming mail by default once I set them up.

They should do - so long as the message is "New".

  When they didn't, I looked
at Preferences and did not see anything about filters or incoming mail.
Later someone told me they were placed under Mail Accounts.  That seems
a very odd place to me.  Why not bring Filter Settings out to the main
Preferences menu?

Because applying filters is on a per account basis and not globally -
it's part of the process of Receiving Email.  I have some accounts that
do not have filters applied to their incoming messages.  All the
per-filter settings are done via Edit->Message Filters.

So now I have filters that work on incoming mail.  The problem is, that
you correctly enable nifty features to delete mail that is of some age.
But these are useless on incoming mail by definition.

Possibly, but I can contrive some scenario where someone would use them!
However I suspect they are provided for people to apply manually to
messages.

  And they cannot
be scheduled to occur, and they do not work AUTOMATICALLY by themselves.

They do work AUTOMATICALLY - it's not Evo's fault that none of the
messages it works AUTOMATICALLY on satisfy that criteria.

Therefore, they have to be APPLIED MANUALLY, one folder at a time.

That is the frustration.

I create a Search Folder to show me everything so that I can select all
just once and Message->Apply Filters (followed by a manual empty trash,
since the filter can delete but not empty -- another shortcoming).  But
it does not show up under Search Folders nor my other two areas.  It
exists because I cannot create a new one by the same name.

There should also be a Search Folder called 'Unmatched' - that does as
it says, it contains all the messages not matched by any other Search
Folder, consequently without any other Search Folder defined, it will
contain all your messages.

P.