Re: [Evolution] Changing Port 25 to Port 587

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 22:00 -0700, John Maxwell wrote:
Phil & Kojak.t,
Using plain, TSL & SSL encryption, messages are received but no mail
is sent, the window just sits there. Authentication is checked or not
the results are the same. If I change the outgoing server from
mail.XXX.com to smtp.mail.XXX.com it attempts to send the mail but
has the following error message "Host lookup failed:
smtp.mail.XXX.com: Name or service not known" and is the only error
message I can get otherwise it sits there regardless of how long I
wait (several minutes).

That makes sense; there probably is no "smtp.mail.XXX.com";  have you
tried just "smtp.XXX.com"?  Or looking up what the setting should be.
The port syntax XXX.YYY.ZZZ:### does work.  Our shop runs SMTP on
TCP/21212 and specifying smtp.USUSUS.com:21212 works in evolution.