Re: [Evolution] a challenge to the developers

 address books including LDAP
Yep
Recently I had Evo freeze on me quite often - until I removed an LDAP
address book and since then, not a single lockup. The freezes were when
displaying mail and it turns out that the "load images from people in
address book" (or whatever) was causing problems.  The LDAP address book
happened to be connected through a DAVMail connector to our enterprise
exchange GAL - some 40000 addresses - so where the network problems were
I don't know, but looking at straces and debug logs it doesn't look like
it was a problem with Evo directly, but more a problem with Evo not
recovering gracefully from data flow problems elsewhere.

Yea, that is big.  All the clients struggle with real-world size address
books.  Try syncing Thunderous Turd with a GroupDAV address book of
~19,000 contacts.  It basically just stops working.  Evo keeps working,
but really chugs;  there is no way you could do type-ahead lookup in
such an address book.   And as an address book delivery service LDAP
just sucks.