Re: [Evolution] a challenge to the developers

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 08:13 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

Maybe nobody else experiences this?

I experience "hangs" (i.e. freezes) all of the time.  I send in stack
traces every time I do.  They just don't lead to anything.

I've not ever had Evolution
hard-freeze that I can recall.

How much of evolution do you use though?  Single POP account or
something.  Probably those of us experiencing such frequent deadlocks
are using many of evolutions features.  Personally, I use several IMAP
accounts, address books including LDAP and several network based and
local calendars.

It doesn't handle network issues very gracefully,

No, it doesn't.  Funny enough I just finished saying so in another bug,
so this is the third time this has been iterated in the last few hours.

I'd prefer they write and debug code.

Well, from all appearances, neither is being done, so I guess Patrick
was asking for the easier of the two.

Dude, pay attention to the list.  They just did a complete port off of
Bonobo, which was a big change to the underlying architecture.  Clearly
someone is investing a lot of energy into it.

And that will close how many open bugs?  Or will that allow us all to
have configurable toolbars and whatnot?  I really don't know the
implications of the killing off of bonobo, but it all sounds like
eye-candy (and whatnot else new features) rather than directly working
towards a goal of the fixing of the many open bugs and making Evolution
usable again.

And Evolution remains, as it has been for many years, THE premiere Open
Source mail client and PIM.

Yes.  Sadly there is no replacement.  If there were, as much as I hate
to say it, I would have been gone a long time ago.

There is nothing else that comes close to
the functionality and stability provided by Evolution.

One out of two.  I will give evolution functionality, any day.  But I
would never in a heartbeat call it stable.  It's just not -- not for
anyone doing anything more than reading a POP mailbox and for that,
there are plenty of choices.

b.