Re: [Evolution] using skype

Simon Roberts, Mon, 25 May 2009 14:57:24 -0700:
2) Whom do I pay for service that allows me to call ordinary phones, and

Whomever ... there are different SIP providers in almost every country in
the world. And of course you can install Asterisk (http://
www.asterisk.org/; http://twit.tv/floss38) and set up your own VoIP to
land-line-phone yourself.

BTW, it is possible to call US (800) toll-free numbers for free using
some big SIP providers (e.g. by calling to sip:*18004262968 sipbroker com
you get your friendly IBM salesman). I believe Skype is able to do
something similar as well.

3) how much does it cost?

From zero (your own Asterisk) to whatever your provider asks for.

4) Can I call other skype users from Ekiga

There ARE some SIP/Skype gateways (paid for), I have never tried them. I
believe Digium (authors of Asterisk) provide Skype plugin (closed source)
for Asterisk but I have never tried seen it in action. Mark Spencer
mentioned it on the above-mentioned FLOSS show.

BTW, I'm not sure what you're getting at in your final point, but I most
certainly can call ordinary phones from Skype. I don't particularly care
how they do it, just that the cost is reasonable (which it certainly
is--I just spent two weeks in Poland, calling my girlfriend's cell phone
in the US, for 2cents per minute).

Of course, that's the same with SIP clients. VoIP is VoIP is VoIP.

MatÄj