Re: [Evolution] using skype

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 12:05 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
2009/5/24 Bruno Trazzini <brunotrazzini gmail com>:

I suggest adding a button to dial from the contact list using skype

Skype, of all things. Why would you want a button for a play-phone
service, when you can get _real_ voip with Ekiga, which is free and
like Evolution, part of GNOME?
I don't understand why anyone would want to use Skype. Seriously.

The answer is simple. Because Skype works, while everything else sucks.
I want something that
      * works well wherever I am (e.g. from behind a firewall)
      * allows me to call, chat and send files

I haven't found any alternative to Skype that meets these two basic
criteria. Please let me know, if you aware of one.

In fact, the good usability of Skype attracted a huge amount of users
and now it is another point to choose it, as all of my colleagues and
friend are available on it but not on other systems. You may say it is
just a proof the part of Skype's dirty strategy. But this strategy (i.e.
to make good quality and usable software) is open to everyone.

It's expensive,

Not really. In many country it is far the cheapest alternative, even
taking the VoIP alternatives into account. Moreover, as most people use
it, you rarely need to use the none-free dial-out service.

Would you use Gmail if that meant only being allowed to mail other
gmail users?

If that one was the only working e-mail solution, then probably yes.

Regards,
Alpar