Re: [Evolution] Problem viewing calendars on multiple machines

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 17:17 +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:40:14PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 16:04 +0000, Chris G wrote:
Running Funambol yourself may well be too complex, but the URL above
is
to an already existing service. I use it myself for my phone and it
was
extemely easy to set up. I haven't so far done it for Evo as I'm not
that concerned about it really and setting up SyncEvolution does
seem to
require some work. Perhaps if Genesis was packaged for Fedora I'd
take
the time.

Yes, OK, I hadn't spotted that.  However on the other hand that then
takes you into relying on a service 'out there' on the internet.

You mean like you already do for mail? Seriously, since we're talking
about syncing information, there isn't a huge cost if the service
suddenly disappears since you already have backups on your devices.

The OP did say that they don't want to use an online service.

I'd forgotten, sorry.

  ... and
what do you mean "like you already do for mail?".  OK, my mail is
transferred via the internet but I don't save any of it out there.
Some people (the OP and me included apparently) don't like leaving
lots of our data hanging about out there.

That's your call of course. Personally I have nearly all my mail on IMAP
servers so I can get to it from anywhere and don't have to worry about
synching it. I'm just saying the same can apply to contacts etc., only
more so.

As others have already said, storing stuff locally means you get to
handle the synching yourself. Although e-d-s could *in theory* act as a
server for contact info, I don't know how many hoops you'd have to jump
through to get this working reliably over the Internet. It would be
interesting to try though.

poc