Re: [Evolution] Feedback & suggestions

I'm so there with you on the wide view... I really like working with the vertical preview pane, especially on wide screen laptops - such as mine... But the message display area next to the preview pane is a bit difficult to deal with, it's easy if you only have a couple emails - but the whole point of using the vertical pane is to see all the messages in the folder.

Perhaps it would be easier to allow for a detailed customization of the wide view area. I found it's possible to create a customized view, but then it's single line and not double lined like the wide view. It would be great if we could create custom colors for various headers, black subject lines, blue From and To... Something to make it all a bit more distinct...

At any rate, thanks for the work so far... I think Evolution is great and I dumped Thunderbird's clunky a$$ a long time ago... Have you ever tried to use Lighting with that piece, it just seems so undeveloped and clunky to me. Besides who uses "just email" anymore, I mean seriously - calendar, tasks, memos... I organize my life around email and Thunderbird couldnt keep up - Evolution is doing a much better job...

Thanks again,
Daniel

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 10:27 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 15:09 +0200, Stefan Nitsche wrote:
> 1. A really good threaded mode. It should be really clear which
> messages that are threaded (it is not at the moment IMHO) and
> threadeds should be sorted by the newest message, i.e. a thread
> started a week ago containing a message that arrived today should be
> sorted as newer than a message that arrived yesterday. (This could be
> the case already though)

I believe this was broken in older versions of Evo but it's been fixed
for a while (but I don't use threaded mode so I'm not sure).

> OR

Why "or"?  Why not both? :-)

> 2. A really good wide view. Evolution already does this very well when
> comparing to the mail apps I've tried (excluding Outlook). But... When
> comparing Evolution to Outlook the message list feels very "heavy" in
> Evolution. It's a bit hard to explain but hopefully I make some sense.

I have to agree here.  Although I have a ginormous monitor at work and I
use wide view there (because with a monitor that wide, normal view just
looks bizarre), I have to say that quite often I feel like switching
back.  In fact at home, where I only have a pretty wide monitor, I have
enough room for wide view but I DID switch back.

I love being able to see lots of subjects, but the summary window is
really, REALLY hard to read in wide view.  The "from" addresses and the
subject lines are simply too difficult to tell apart and it's very
frustrating to see what I'm looking for.  This is especially true in my
spam folder, which I scan once every day or two looking for things that
were inadvertently caught.  This basically involves checking the subject
for things that might not be spam (I get a lot of legitimate email from
people I don't know so looking at the sender doesn't help me).  I sort
on the subject field in that folder which I find makes it easy to find
things in normal view, but it's simply impossible to do a quick scan in
wide view.

I don't really know what would be the best way to fix it.  Maybe have
the subject line background a different color from the sender, instead
of every other message?  Or, (weird but might work) right-justify the
sender and leave the subject left-justified?

I don't know, but some way to make it easier to scan down the window and
tell the difference between senders and subjects needs to be found
before wide view can really be user-friendly (IMO).

Cheers!