[Evolution] Feedback & suggestions

Hi!

With Evolution now supporting Google Contacts it takes yet another step to replace Mozilla Thunderbird on my desktop. (Yes this is written with presumption that someone actually cares what I use to read emails and with the hope that someone else will benefit from the feedback also.)

When I saw the announcement I thought I'd take this opportunity to express my opinions.

My biggest gripe with Evolution is the handling of headers. I use Gmail over IMAP and it works really great except when "from" contains non-ascii characters. An email that is sent from someone called "Pär" looks like this "=?ISO-8859-1?Q? P=E4r_". Now as far as I understand this is caused by faulty/wrong configured Gmail-server and is not an real bug in Evolution. However for me as an end-user the result is the same no matter where the problem lies. Thunderbird handles this gracefully and gives me the expected name so it is possible to make a workaround. My wish and suggestion to the Evolution team is to implement this workaround as a service to the end-user. It doesn't have to be enabled by default and if possible is should perhaps be a plugin.

Speaking of headers it would be cool to have a plugin like Thunderbirds MessageFaces for Evolution. I like having the Gravatar displayed in the message header. This is filed under cool-but-entirely-unnecessary

Another cool-but-not-necessary addition would be a RemeberTheMilk.com provider for Tasks (and why not a Google Notes, or equivalent service, provider for Memos). Gnome Online Desktop anyone?

When we are talking about wishes I would also like to add my wishes for either:

1. A really good threaded mode. It should be really clear which messages that are threaded (it is not at the moment IMHO) and threadeds should be sorted by the newest message, i.e. a thread started a week ago containing a message that arrived today should be sorted as newer than a message that arrived yesterday. (This could be the case already though)

OR

2. A really good wide view. Evolution already does this very well when comparing to the mail apps I've tried (excluding Outlook). But... When comparing Evolution to Outlook the message list feels very "heavy" in Evolution. It's a bit hard to explain but hopefully I make some sense.

Finally, these additions to Evolution would make my day but as always there is this thing called reality. I don't know how the developer situation looks like for Evolution but I wouldn't be surprised if you're shorthanded.

Anyways keep up the good work!

//Stefan Nitsche