Re: [Evolution] Competing with Microsoft

On Jan 21, 2008 4:53 AM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

It saddens me to see the Evo developers chasing Microsoft's tail all the
time - it is exactly the scenario that Microsoft want: the perception
that they are the leader and everyone has to follow them.  I wish there

yes, I understand. But when there are 400 million exchange mailboxes
(or what ever the numbers are, this is just meant to be illustrative)
and 2.5 million of "something else" that is not Notes or GroupWise

well, there ain't much marketshare there, is there? Leadership is what
it is: they are in the lead. You may argue "not technically" but....
really that does not matter so much.

was some easier way into Exchange and I sincerely home that the libmapi
approach is going to provide it - although my cynicism tells me that the
mapi protocol will change every few months in order to break everything
other than MS products .  At least once that is sorted out, the Evo
developers can concentrate on other things.

MAPI is pretty stable --- but M$ will break things periodically, that
is for certain. But a working base is a requirement. We have not had
that .... really ever from EVO/Exchange. I hope it works well, too,
and provides something of a real alternative.

Peter