Re: [Evolution] Competing with Microsoft

On Jan 17, 2008 2:07 PM, Rob Cambra <rcambra amesbury com> wrote:
People sitting at desks in real companies want and demand collaboration tools such as Exchange, Lotus
Domino, GroupWize, etc.  Evo better be the client side equivalent for open source and be rock solid in
those environments or it goes nowhere.  What's the point if it's just for home users and enthusiasts?

exactly right.

EVO appears to be fine for individual users ... but in a
corp/groupware environment, it's (poor) support of Exchange makes it a
non-starter. I know that many posters to this list express the
sentiment that they "resent the time EVO developers have to spend on
Exchange support". Well, I guess it comes down to whether or not you
want linux in general and EVO in particular to have a shot a real
marketshare leadership ...

I do wan that. I want to be able, sometime soon if possible, do a
presentation for a corp customer where I can legitimately say "you can
move to a linux desktop, and your users lose nothing, and you IT dept
can easily manage everything at least as well as you do now".

Linux and EVO are a LONG way from that, currently

Peter