[Evolution] Competing with Microsoft

I read most of these posts but don't reply unless I feel I have a relevant comment.  I feel compelled to post
this.  As a Linux enthusiast and an IT Manager for a large company, I think it's very important to not count
out Microsoft and Exchange.  Exchange does provides IMAP, POP3 and other non-Microsoft-centric services very
well but that's just simple e-mail.  We're talking about groupware.  In order to carve out a viable slot for
Evolution, it has to be able to quickly adapt to new releases of Exchange as well as other e-mail/groupware
server types.

My company is actively involved in a Linux program but with 1500+ users used to shared calendars and public
folders, it's hard to justify Evolution due to its propensity to crash in an Exchange environment.  To say
that everyone should just throw away Exchange and go to something else is not reasonable for corporations.

I want Linux and Evolution to succeed but in order to do that it MUST directly compete with Outlook in an
Exchange environment and in my view it isn't there yet.  We're really talking about competition here.  In a
corporate environment, working fairly well is not good enough.  The expectation of end users (customers) is
that it work as well or better.  We rolled out a 25 user pilot with Ubuntu 7.10 and Evo and so far the
feedback is that Evo hangs and crashes a lot more than OLK.

Microsoft is easy to dislike.  The cost of their wares is the sole reason my company is engaged in a Linux
project.  We, as Linux/Evo supporters have to stay focused on the reasons we like Linux, Evo and everything
else open source.  For me it's reliability, flexibility and cost.  When I hear that Evo is crashing and has
enough bugs for the majority of a 25-user program to detect and qualify, than we're not competing with
Microsoft, we're losing.  Quite frankly, I'm disappointed.

The folks developing Evo have my highest respect and I am a paying contributor to open source development.
We need to stop talking about how bad Microsoft systems are and start focusing that negativity into competing
with them and the first step is a healthy respect for what they've accomplished.  We need to hold them at the
standard to be reached our surpassed.  This has nothing to do with source code.  As a former code jockey, I
understand that a lot of MS code is crappy but that's irrelevant.

People sitting at desks in real companies want and demand collaboration tools such as Exchange, Lotus Domino,
GroupWize, etc.  Evo better be the client side equivalent for open source and be rock solid in those
environments or it goes nowhere.  What's the point if it's just for home users and enthusiasts?

I understand the rumors are that Sun and Mozilla have teamed up to develop a direct replacement for Outlook.
This is exciting news if it's true.  Evo better wake up if it is to find its way into companies with non-open
source e-mail systems.

BTW - When our pilot project is complete, I intend to post the results on this mailing list.

Good luck to all and keep at it!

Rob Cambra