Re: [Evolution] edit "from" field in composer (i.e."+"addresssupport for mailing lists :P )

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 17:48 -0500, Brett Johnson wrote:
Normally, I don't need to *send* email using those addresses, but
occasionally I do (to reply to a legitimate query from the entity to
which I've given a particular address).  It's a PITA to have to add
and
maintain a evo "account", before I'm allowed to do so.  Simply being
able to edit the "From:" header in that case would be very useful.

Brett, if, as you say, "Normally, [you] don't need to *send* email using
those addresses", why is the rare instance such a PITA?

I understand what you are saying, and I do the same thing when signing
up for stuff using yahoo's Disposable Addresses.  The mail to the
addresses are routed, by yahoo to my regular yahoo account.  If I reply
to them using yahoo's SMTP, it adjusts the headers accordingly.  If I
want to stop a disposable address because of spam, etc., I just delete
it.

Oh, and give me a break.  Providing this functionality would not in
any
way make Evolution a desirable platform for spammers.  Spammers don't
use general purpose MUAs like evolution, they use purpose-built tools
for forging the "From:" header with random addresses.

True for sophisticated professional spammers, but there are plenty of
amateurs out there too.

--
Art Alexion
MIS