Re: [Evolution] edit "from" field in composer (i.e. "+" addresssupport for mailing lists :P )

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 10:14 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
Trying to be blunt, but not rude here, but it occurs to me that if it is
not too cumbersome to go to all of the trouble of creating new accounts
to subscribe to each list, why is it too cumbersome to add those
accounts to evolution?

The functionality you ask for seems most useful to spammers who wish to
forge the "from" header.  I would hope that evolution does NOT add this
functionality.  Is there a reason why you need separate addresses for
each list and why you don't want to actually USE those accounts on your
MUA?

I'm not the original poster, but I've often wished for the same
functionality.

I use the many-email-address/one-domain method for spam control.
Whenever I have to give out an email address to a web site or an
individual/entity I don't know/trust, I make one up on the spot related
to that entity (but on my own domain).  Later, if I start getting spam
to that address, 1) I know who sold my email address to spammers, and 2)
it's trivial to shut down the source of spam by simply rejecting email
to that address.

Normally, I don't need to *send* email using those addresses, but
occasionally I do (to reply to a legitimate query from the entity to
which I've given a particular address).  It's a PITA to have to add and
maintain a evo "account", before I'm allowed to do so.  Simply being
able to edit the "From:" header in that case would be very useful.

Oh, and give me a break.  Providing this functionality would not in any
way make Evolution a desirable platform for spammers.  Spammers don't
use general purpose MUAs like evolution, they use purpose-built tools
for forging the "From:" header with random addresses.
--
Brett Johnson <brett hp com>