Re: [Evolution] Plugin for Evolution

Since as you said IMAP is a mail protocol you treat the file as a mail
message, or in this case the appointment.  Each appointment appears in
the Calendar folder as a separate item (recurring appointments only
once).  So when you request mail item 34 you are really requesting
calendar item 34.  The only trick is getting that information to
display in a calendar view and not a list view.

Not half an hour ago I found python project to convert vcalendar
requests to individual messages.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/imap_calendar_proxy/?branch_id=56959&release_id=190467

So saving to the folder should be a no brainer especially since we're
already saving drafts and other messages to the IMAP folders.

It really just seems to be a matter of having a way to identify a
folder as a calendar and getting the calendar to read the info from
the folder and displaying it as a calendar and not a list.  Again
plain IMAP in Evolution will already show you the calendar folder as
well as eatch of the items and even the information inside them.  The
only thing it doesn't do is treat it as a calendar.

For whoever wrote the Calendar portion of Evolution I would imagine it
would be simple to just read the info and display it.  I might be off
base here but as I said I can already see the calendar items.

CParticle

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

 On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 14:22 -0500, CParticle wrote:
 > Also the idea of going through WEBDav is not the answer I know that
 > exist and I know it works and it works for me.  However its going
 > through the web interface why not use IMAP instead if its there.

 I think I misunderstand something of what you are saying - surely IMAP
 is a mail protocol, not a general file transfer thing.  How are you
 proposing that you get at the calendar information via IMAP - bear in
 mind that the IMAP protocol uses data exchanges like 'give me message
 number 34' or 'how many new messages are there' or 'give me all the
 headers of new message' - AFAIK there's nothing in it that says 'give me
 contents of this file', because "file" is a meaningless concept to IMAP.

 P.