Re: [Evolution] Can I get an IMAP folder update up in here!

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 09:43 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Something has been bothering me about this thread:  it doesn't ring true
to me!  So I've just done some experiments.  I've got Evo (2.24.2)
running on my F10 box and Outlook2007 running on a Vista machine next to
it.  Both are looking at the same Inbox via IMAP.

I can delete a message in Evo, and that change isn't immediately visible
to Outlook.  But all it needs is to move to another folder and virtually
immediately that message is then marked as deleted in Outlook.  So some
write back of information is happening at times.

It doesn't work in the other direction though - deleting in Outlook
doesn't get automatically picked up by Evo unless I force a reload of
the folders by closing it down and restarting.

So the issue appears to *not* be one of Evo writing back the info.  It's
an issue of Evo not *reading* and updating the cached information.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Not too long ago someone (I forget
who, but they seemed to know what they were talking about) said that Evo
synched when you changed folders. I was assuming that this had somehow
changed with 2.24 but I hadn't tested it.

Only a bit OT: half the problems people have with Evo could be solved if
there was a clearly-defined model of what it does in various
circumstances. I don't mean the source code, which let's face no-one is
going to read, but an architectural definition, readable to the
intelligent layman and guaranteed to be consistent across multiple
versions. At the moment, all we have is a lot of folklore derived from
the archives of this list, the FAQ, the very inadequate user
documentation (which seems designed to conceal this sort of detail), and
a lot of black-box experimentation.

poc