Re: [Evolution] Slow response

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 10:44 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
Just timed opening a new message at over 2 minutes. The folder had
been opened before. It's quite a big folder - 1600 messages - but the
message itself is only 6k.

Hm.  I don't have folders that big but others have posted here with much
larger folders without any issues.

Is the message plain text, or does it have lots of HTML formatting?  I
have a bug filed where some messages I receive, particularly from
Amazon, take well over a minute or two to open.  My CPU is very busy
during this as well.  These messages are NOT large; they are maybe 1100
lines long, and 30k or so.  Plenty of other messages, a lot bigger,
don't have this problem.

There's something about the HTML in this particular message that gives
either evolution or the gtkhtml lib or something fits.

Also timed moving a small mail between two previously opened folders
at about 30 seconds. It sounds like I'm still not getting the
performance I should.

I agree, that seems slow to me, although moving messages does sometimes
seem a bit pokey to me as well.

Will your new Makefile be sufficiently compatible with the old one
that I can drop it in and run an update cleanly?

Yes, definitely.  I doubt it will make much difference, though you can
try it.  It would be interesting to know what Evo is doing during this
time, but I don't have any idea how you can find that out.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us