Re: [Evolution] [IMAP] Filtering and Expunging

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 14:08 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

If I press Ctrl+E yes, it works, the messages are deleted on server.
But I think that, *at least*, there should be an option that does this
automatically, every time I delete a message, it expunges the server.
Don't expect me to hit 2 keyboard shortcuts every time I want to delete
a message.

You don't - you just have to press delete.  The IMAP standard says that
a message is only removed when the folder is purged, deleting just marks
it as deleted.  There is an option to expunge folders on exit though,
and you can hide deleted messages - you won't notice the difference that
way.

try suspending your laptop, go to home/work and open evolution there on
another box... Then you got 500 mails that you have previously
deleted/filtered...

I found *lots* of complaints about this on google. and many users on
ubuntu forums complain about this evolution behavior. It is bad for mail
admin? Maybe they should stop using mbox and then they don't have to
rewrite 500Mb mail box files :)

The good news is that I tested Thunderbird 2, and it *works as
expected*, nice and smoothly. Google shows me that people are moving
from Evo to Thunderbird for the same reason...

I have also found an old (2002) Evo bug report with a user complaining
about the same thing and it was closed with "Won't fix".

So, my understanding is that *at least* there should be an option that
allows automatic expunge of folders. Or if you want, automatic expunge
every "n" minutes or seconds.

Ruben