[Evolution] Evo password "memory" on SuSE 10.2. Was: Just upgraded to Evo 2.8.2 with Suse 10.2, won't remember password

I have, after some research and testing, found a consistent and fairly
standard way to resolve the problem of Evo not remembering the account
passwords in SuSE 10.2. I'm a KDE user, and there is a slightly
different solution for GNOME.

1. Install the pam_keyring RPM:
(http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/suse/i586/pam_keyring-0.0.8-32.i586.rpm)

PAM is Linux's Pluggable Authentication Module - modules which can be
added to provide authentication for added functionality. I recently
started using it when I needed to mount Samba shares from SuSE 10.2 to
my Linux server. Works very well.

2. Add these two lines to /etc/pam.d/gdm:

auth     optional       pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
session  optional       pam_keyring.so

3. *KDE only*

Open YaST, go to the System menu option, then open the /etc/sysconfig
Editor.

Navigate to Desktop/Display Manager and choose the first entry
(DISPLAYMANAGER). From the drop-down, select gdm (the GNOME Display
Manager). Selecting this will _not_ affect the operation of KDE.

4. Reboot. Logging off and on is not enough for this step.

5. Open Evo. You will need to enter all account passwords the first
time.

6. As a sanity check, you can open gnome-keyring-manager from a command
prompt (not as root - as yourself) and you will find the definitions for
your accounts in the "default" keyring.

Note: I tested kdm and gdm - there is an error in the messages file when
pam_keyring tries to start gnome_keyring_daemon using kdm. It works as
it should using gdm.

I hope this is of help to anyone contemplating Evo on SuSE 10.2, which
is a very good distribution indeed.

Regards,

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support