Re: [Evolution] Slow response

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:49 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
failed with `libeabutil.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory'

Oh yeah, that's very bad.  Things will definitely not work.

However, on my system that library is happily sitting
in /opt/evo/lib/evolution/2.12. exactly where I'd expect it to be.

If you don't have that library in that directory it means that your
"make install" of the "evolution" component did not work properly.  Have
you been rebuilding from scratch every time?  Or trying an incremental
"make"?  The incremental "make" option only works if the previous "make"
was successful.  It sounds like your source tree build got into a weird
state.

Either that, or there's something else different about your system.

I really would like to try to get this working, if you're willing to
give it another go.

This is what I'd like you to do, if you have time:

First, get the latest Makefile and evolution-svn.in files as described
in http://mad-scientist.us/evolution.html.

Second, run "make clean" (you can check that it will do the right thing
with "make -n clean", but I did fix this).

Third (optional, but not a bad idea) remove all existing installs with
"rm -rf /opt/evo/*"

Fourth, run the build and keep a copy of the output:
        make 2>&1 | tee log.1

It should succeed.  You'll have to type your password at the end when it
asks you.

Check to see if the library above exists in /opt/evo/lib/evolution/2.12.

If it does, does Evo work for you now?

If it does NOT, look in the log file "log.1" and search for errors
related to libeautil.  If you're not sure what you're looking for, you
can email the log file to me (directly, not the list: it'll be too big).

I wonder if there's some other package you need to have on your system
to do this build properly, that I've not listed in the prereq list.  If
you run this:
        dpkg -l autoconf\* automake\* libtool\* | grep ^i

what versions do you see?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us