Re: [Evolution] Slow response

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 11:42 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
However, I am still without a working Evo. It starts up fine, but I
get an interface with only the Send/Receive button and many of the
sub-menus are empty. The preferences dialog is also empty. I did get a
lot of warnings like this:

Just to be clear, are you using the script I sent to start Evo?  I don't
think this should matter but...

Also, be sure you've shut down all parts of the original 2.10 Evo before
starting the new one; use "ps -aef | grep evo" to make sure they're all
running out of /opt/evo instead of /usr/...  Bring down Evo and kill all
Evo-related processes.  Make sure they stay dead (sometimes the clock
will restart the data-server so it can see your calendar; you might have
to stop your clock applet as well).

"WARNING: failed to install schema

I get all that stuff too.  I don't know exactly what it means; I've been
assuming it's because we're not installing as root and something is
trying to install in the wrong places.  I'll look at this more carefully
today.

The reason I've been ignoring it is that it doesn't seem to make any
difference to me... but I don't see the problems with missing stuff that
you do.

One thing I should be clear about: I had a fully configured and working
set of email accounts, GAL, etc. using Evo 2.10.1 (standard Ubuntu 7.04
Evo) BEFORE I started using this new version.  This might be related.

Try ensuring you have a configured Exchange account using the old Evo,
then exit and clean up processes as above, then try the new one (I know
that's a bummer since it takes a long time for you).

The other problem is to do with the Makefile itself. The "make clean"
entry:

clean:
        $(RMDIR) $(STAMPDIR) $(BLDROOT)/* $(PREFIX)

Doh!!  Fixed *blush*

Is this Makefile available online? I actually think it's a very useful
tool for people wanting to run a development version of Evo. I would
be happy to contribute to a page describing its use, if that would be
helpful. After we've ironed out the bugs, of course.

I threw something up last night: http://mad-scientist.us/evolution.html

Please note this is still a work in progress, far from complete, and may
well be wrong.  I'll be updating it over the next few days.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us