Re: [Evolution] Slow response

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 15:20 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
Then I tried the Makefile provided by Paul Smith. This is indeed a
very clever piece of software and it did most of the installation for
me. There were a few problems, however.

Hi Peter; glad it (sort of) worked for you.  I've attached a newer
version which might do better for you.

- I found that it didn't report missing packages from the second line
of the "PREREQS" definition; I needed to install bison and flex but it
didn't give these names, only that I didn't have all the packages I
needed. I'm not sure why this would be...

Because, I took the easy way out and just counted the number of
installed packages; if it wasn't equal to the number of total
prerequisites I just bailed.

The version attached here will tell you exactly what's wrong.

- The libgail-dev package was needed, but not listed.

Added; thanks.

There were more substantial problems installing the evolution-exchange
module.

I think ALL of these problems are due to using the first version of the
Makefile I sent and not the updated version I sent some hours later.
Look at your makefile and locate the evolution_INSTALL_OPTS variable.
If it looks like this:

        evolution_INSTALL_OPTS = ; true

then you have the old broken version.  If it looks like this:

        evolution_INSTALL_OPTS = -k ; true

then you have the newer version... in which case I'm confused.  But I
don't think I'll be confused :-).

First of all, I had a problem where packages for evolution-shell and
evolution-plugin were not being found at configure time, because
PKG_CONFIG_PATH was set to look in /usr/lib/pkgconfig, which did not
contain the evolution packages I had just built.

Correct.  You definitely would NOT want them installed in /usr/lib
because they'd overwrite the files installed for your Ubuntu Evo
packages, and the package management system would get upset.

They are (when things work correctly) being installed in
$(prefix)/lib/pkgconfig, and the makefile is already setting this for
you in the proper way.

PKG_CONFIG_PATH := [...]

You definitely do NOT want to do that.  The original setting provided in
the makefile is correct and should not be changed.  If it doesn't work
then the question is, why not?  That's what needs to be found and fixed.

It turns out that there's a bug in Evo's install rules that only
manifests the very first time you run "make install" into a new
directory where you've never installed Evo before.  I tried to work
around this in the makefile (using the evolution_INSTALL_OPTS variable)
but I got it wrong: my first version quit the Evo install early (so half
the package was not installed including the pkgconfig stuff among other
things), then overrode the error.

The new version keeps going and finishes the install, then ignores the
error.

Try this one.  You'll have to either rebuild from scratch or at least
remove the /opt/evo-src/.stamp/evolution.install file to force the build
to rerun the Evolution install step.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us