Re: [Evolution] Upgrade leads to missing icons & no way to do folder shortcuts

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 12:40 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
hi adam,

Am Dienstag, den 06.06.2006, 07:48 -0400 schrieb Adam Stein:
As a result of the upgrade, some of the icons are missing.  Running
Evolution on another machine that was also upgraded shows all the icons.

make sure that you have installed gnome-icon-theme and
hicolor-icon-theme. also make sure that gnome-settings-daemon is
running.

I actually solved this one.  I found a package containing the missing
icons.  Since my machine was "upgraded", rather than a fresh install,
there must be some old library that uses the old icons.  I was never
able to find out which one.  I was able to find the icons, so I'm happy
with that.

After much searching, I did find a note mentioning that folder shortcuts
were removed in favor of component buttons.  I made use of folder
shortcuts and can see no way to recreate that functionality (I couldn't
find anything about component buttons).  Is there any way to create
shortcuts now?

none that i know of.

Having to open my mail directory hierarchy each time to
get to a folder several levels down is a pain.

hmm... restructuring the folder hierarchy is not an option, i guess? :-/

One of the shortcut groups I had was working projects.  Whatever
projects I happened to be actively engaged in at work would have an
email folder (for all the email concerning that project obviously).
Projects change.  Doesn't seem like a very productive thing to have to
keep restructuring my folder hierarchy all the time.

Virtual folders are almost a replacement.  I can set up a virtual folder
to only show the contents of the one folder I'm interested in and I can
delete mailnotes within that folder.  I just can't add to it since the
virtual folder wouldn't really know where to add to.  I also can't
create groupings of virtual folders.

Andre Klapper has mentioned there were reasons for dropping this
functionality.  I've searched the archives and only came across the one
note mentioning that folder shortcuts were removed.  Can anybody point
me to the actual messages in the archive that stated the reasons?  It's
not easy to search the archives when you have to do it one month at a
time.
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: adam scan mc xerox com

Disclaimer: All views expressed