Re: [Evolution] Mailclient window mockup

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 11:06 +0200, Samuel Abels wrote:
On Sa, 2005-09-17 at 22:57 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
It's still wasting an *incredible* amount of space chewing up all
that real estate repeating Reply, Reply to All, Forward & Mover
for every message.  Blech.

Possibly, but is cutting away from every title a better alternative? If
it is not, then that space is unused anyway. Look at this version:

http://debain.org/img/blog/mailclient3.png
(yes, the buttons in the mockup look lame, but that's just because I am
too lazy to rework them.)

How is this different ? Apart from moving the Reply, Reply All....
half the window down. In both cases, I assume you expect the up/down
arrow keys to be used for navigation and mouse pointer hovering near the
reply buttons. So why does it matter where it is placed ?

(Disclaimer : I use keyboard shortcuts that are distance-neutral on the
screen...so I am only projecting what could be ..for a mouse-dependent.)

You're a D-D.  You know how long and nested the threads in d-devel
& d-user can get.  The wasted screen space ensures that the subjects
would get disappear after half a dozen messages.

I agree on not wasting the screenspace on multiple reply(all) buttons.
But on a mailing list, the subject does not change much (at all) in the
replies. So if I get to see it at the OP or in the preview, I'm happy.

On re-claiming wasted screenspace, I would rather begin killing off the
'Mark Junk' and 'Mark Not Junk' appearing next to each other.
It is the same with the right click menu on a message. (sigh)

btw, http://go-evolution.org/UI2.6 is where this discussion can meet
more eyeballs, including non-subscribers of this list...(hint :-))

Harish