Re: [Evolution] recovering tasks from crashed evolution

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 10:54 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
Hi,

I selected about 20 tasks and was going to move them to a different task
list (to my "work" list).  I pressed ctrl-x to cut them, and evolution
crashed.

When I re-opened evolution, the entire list of tasks I had selected had
disappeared! This means my entire list of tasks for work is gone!

Help! Is there any way I can recover these?  I would be very grateful
for any suggestions,

I had a similar problem as this, although my crash was during a sync
with my Palm.  The effect was that the task items went "invisible" --
they were still there but Evolution only showed an empty task window.
(Please note that I use Evolution 2.2.3).

The problem was corrupted settings in the "view" somewhere.  Nobody was
able to give me specific answers on how to find/fix such corruption, so
my only recourse was the following:
(warning:  the following steps will erase any special "view" settings
you have configured for your Tasks display)

      * Close Evo

      * Stop all Evolution "background processes" by using the commands
        "evolution --force-shutdown" and then "gconftool-2 --shutdown"

      * Move or delete the folder "~/.gconf/apps/evolution/tasks"

      * Launch Evolution again (the normal way).  If it worked, your
        tasks should be visible again.  If it didn't, you're having a
        different problem.

HTH.

Greg