Re: [Evolution] recovering tasks from crashed evolution

I selected about 20 tasks and was going to move them to a different task
list (to my "work" list).  I pressed ctrl-x to cut them, and evolution
crashed.

When I re-opened evolution, the entire list of tasks I had selected had
disappeared! This means my entire list of tasks for work is gone!

Help! Is there any way I can recover these?  I would be very grateful
for any suggestions,

I had a similar problem as this, although my crash was during a sync
with my Palm.  The effect was that the task items went "invisible" --
they were still there but Evolution only showed an empty task window.
(Please note that I use Evolution 2.2.3).

The problem was corrupted settings in the "view" somewhere.  Nobody was
able to give me specific answers on how to find/fix such corruption, so
my only recourse was the following:
(warning:  the following steps will erase any special "view" settings
you have configured for your Tasks display)

      * Close Evo

      * Stop all Evolution "background processes" by using the commands
        "evolution --force-shutdown" and then "gconftool-2 --shutdown"

      * Move or delete the folder "~/.gconf/apps/evolution/tasks"

NOTE: This will affect all your Task Lists in a way you probably don't
want, if you have more than one. Every Task List (with an exception of
"Personal") will be displayed *only*, if they are defined as such within
this GConf tree. The data itself isn't lost or harmed, but it won't be
visible and displayed as a Task List.

I'm seeing way too much posts like these lately. Be careful when doing
things like this or advising it.

(Yes, as the data itself is not harmed in any way, it can be re-created.
Unfortunately this needs some manual steps and con not be done within
the GUI. Well, just like the above advise...)

      * Launch Evolution again (the normal way).  If it worked, your
        tasks should be visible again.  If it didn't, you're having a
        different problem.