Re: [Evolution] Address Book

Could you post a link or web site for the latest Ximian Evolution for
Redhat Linux 2.4.20? Basically I found Ximian Evolution for Suse Linux
so far in my search.

RH 2.4.20? Dude, I hope this is referring to the kernel version, rather
than the RH version... ;-)

The latest version (available as sources) along with a lot of more info
is mentioned on the Evo project web site:

  http://gnome.org/projects/evolution/

Well, if anyone cares to finally apply my version-bump patch, before
2.4.2 gets released... *poke*

Regarding packages for RH, this pretty much depends on the actual RH
version. I don't know RH specific sources, sorry.

How do you figure out the Red Hat version from the command line?

$ cat /etc/redhat-release

I downloaded the wares and ran configure. I am enclosing the error
message so help can be found. Please note that I'm interested in only
a client. I don't know what the server is.

The server is a per user server, which you'll need. Basically
evolution-data-server is a layer between the frontend and the data for
Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. The data is accessible by Evo as well as
other apps, thus the per user server.

Package gnome-icon-theme was not found in the pkg-config search path.
[ snipp ]

When building Evo from source, you need to have the development packages
of the dependencies installed (here likely gnome-icon-theme-devel) or
built them from source. As there are quite a lot of deps, you probably
don't want to go that route...

Depending on the RH version number, maybe someone in here knows where
you could get a recent Evo version.

Given that you currently run an almost 3 year old kernel (I assume) and
an Evo version that is almost as old (1.2.2 was released on Feb 7, 2003)
hovever, I doubt there are any updates to 2.4 or at least 2.2 available
for your particular distro and version. I'm sure this would need an
update of the entire GNOME desktop.

The best way to update this likely would be to update the entire OS.

Regarding your initial question: I don't know much about LDAP, and I
keep forgetting more and more details about 1.2.x versions of Evo...

...guenther