Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:46 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 11:39 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:49 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:18 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 11:09 -0600, Ben Davis wrote:
I'm currently using Thunderbird/Sunbird as my PIM managers, and I'm
wanting to switch to Evolution because of its tight integration with the
desktop.  However,  there are several things that are keeping me from
switching at this point, and I was hoping someone might be able to
provide some workarounds, solutions, or perhaps just suggest to me a
different way of doing things.

1.  IMAP seems VERY slow compared to Tbird.  Sometimes when I switch
from one account to another, I have to wait while it re-loads my entire
inbox...   Are there any options I can change to help speed things up?

Evo is also doing a lot of local indexing, but I agree it seems
noticeably slower than TBird for IMAP access. It's also a *lot* more
brittle (quite frequently hangs while fetching mail for no obvious
reason) though recent versions are improving.

Where are the bug reports of hangs?  I'm not aware of any deadlocks in
the code currently shipping, as exposed by bug reports (that doesn't
mean i haven't missed the reports).

What I said was that "recent versions are improving". That means I
haven't seen it recently but it's too early to say if it's completely
fixed. Maybe the new IMAP code sorted it out.

If it ever happens again with >= 2.2 I'll send in a report, but it's
unlikely to say anything useful except "it hung". I never could relate
it to anything specific I was doing.

Well, whaddya know, 2.2 just hung while I was composing a message. Total
hang, won't refresh windows, had to kill it. IMAP and LDAP servers were
both working correctly (I fired up TBird while the hang was in progress
to make sure).

I submitted a bug report.

poc