Re: [Evolution] Best PDA OS to sync with iPaq ?

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 06:53 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 09:53 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
Hi,

I have an iPaq I would like to use as an Evolution satellite (i.e.
update my contacts, calendar, tasks, be notified for my appointments,
etc.)
What's the best supported OS I should put on it ? PocketPC, GPE or
OPIE ?

Only thing i can suggest is checking out multisync
http://multisync.sourceforge.net/news.php

I'm partial to familiar on iPaq's, but note that when you buy a PocketPC
platform to run linux on, you're boosting microsoft's installed base
numbers, which helps enable microsoft persuade software vendors to
implement for their platform - only.

Microsoft is taking a loss on every PocketPC box sold for a reason.
They aren't doing it because they want to loose money.  They're doing it
because their other businesses allow them to take a loss on PDA's long
enough to gain a stranglehold on the market.  =Then=, they'll change
pricing so as to start making a profit on each box sold.

I very much wanted a linux PDA last time I went PDA shopping, but wound
up going with a PalmOne Tungsten C, for exactly this reason.

As an added benefit, Palm boxes are most likely going to be running
linux in the future, which a proprietary PalmOS layer overtop - kind of
analogous to what MacOS X does with *BSD.