Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 15:10 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 18:50 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 14:43 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Are you saying you've added an option to make "move-to-a-real-trash-
folder" deletion work? If not, what's the point of hiding the Trash
vFolder?

The IMAP model is mark-and-expunge, and the Trash folder is a confusing
waste of space and an abuse of the IMAP server's namespace.

The waste of space is an implementation issue on the server side (Cyrus
has a single-copy model and uses hard links so space is not wasted).

I was referring to _Evolution's_ fake Trash folder, which doesn't
actually take space on the server side anyway -- it just wastes _screen_
space and confuses the user.

I don't know what you mean by "abuse of the namespace".

There's a part of the folder tree which should be displaying the folders
which physically exist on the IMAP server, just like those folders are
displayed in other IMAP clients. But Evolution displays folders which
don't actually exist. That's wrong. There's a 'vFolders' tree for
Evolution to display those things.

My patch gives him the option to turn that off and simply use the IMAP
mark-and-expunge model. It does not implement a physical Trash folder,
but at least it stops _pretending_ to do so.

Fair enough.

Another point: if you also hide the Junk vFolder, how does the user get
to expunge his Junk or mark something as "not Junk"?.

Either create a proper vFolder in the vFolders part of the tree, or just
don't. The point in turning off the Junk vFolder would mostly be for
those users who don't _want_ it, because they realise that filtering
belongs in the MDA not the MUA.

If I wanted to download everything over GPRS and _then_ filter out the
1% of mail which actually lands in my inbox instead of list and spam
folders, I'd use POP3 instead of IMAP.

--
dwmw2