Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 18:50 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 14:43 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Are you saying you've added an option to make "move-to-a-real-trash-
folder" deletion work? If not, what's the point of hiding the Trash
vFolder?

The IMAP model is mark-and-expunge, and the Trash folder is a confusing
waste of space and an abuse of the IMAP server's namespace.

The waste of space is an implementation issue on the server side (Cyrus
has a single-copy model and uses hard links so space is not wasted).

I don't know what you mean by "abuse of the namespace". The main problem
with the "move to a folder" model is that the folder name depends on the
client, so you can't have a reliable server-side reaper that regularly
throws away old trash.

Note that I'm not arguing against mark-and-expunge.

Ben said:
      I don't really like how "Junk" and "Trash" in Evo are simply
      VFolders that show me emails "marked" as deleted or junk.  If I
      use squirrelmail to check my email from somewhere else,  I then
      don't have a "Trash" folder to keep deleted emails, and likewise
      for "Junk".

My patch gives him the option to turn that off and simply use the IMAP
mark-and-expunge model. It does not implement a physical Trash folder,
but at least it stops _pretending_ to do so.

Fair enough.

Another point: if you also hide the Junk vFolder, how does the user get
to expunge his Junk or mark something as "not Junk"?.

poc