Re: [Evolution] Any suggested workarounds for yet one more interface quirk?

Hi Brian,

Hey Carlos, I see you have a shaw.ca address - where are you? I'm in
Victoria (also using shaw) - but I'm moving to Halifax on Friday for
about a year.

I'm near Edmonton, Alberta.  Moving from Victoria to Halifax eh?  Must
be a good reason for you to move.  Victoria is a beautiful city.  Not to
mention it's about as South as you can get in Canada (at least to a
reasonably large city) to get away from the terribly cold weather up
here in the winters :).

I lived in Florida before I moved up North...been missing the sunny
weather ever since :).

If I cause the blue highlight bar (with Evo running under Gnome) to
highlight a message in the message pane and press PgUp, Evo take me to
the first message.  It does not scroll up one page through the message I
am looking at.

If under the same highlight bar set up described above, I press PgDn,
Evo takes me to the last message. It does not scroll down one page
through the message I am looking at.

Ah - it sounds like you are using the preview pane - am I right?

Correct! :).

I'm not
- I open messages in a separate window. PgUp and PgDn work there.

Hmmm...I see....maybe I will  try that too.

If you are using the preview pane, PgUp and PgDn should also work if you
click in the preview pane or tab to it

Yes it does work that way for me too Brian though, for reasons I
mentioned in another post, I find that to not be very efficient.
Clicking or tabbing back and forth I mean.

Evolution is working okay for me now by the way.  I can live with the UI
as I am now able to use it (thanks to the excellent suggestions on this
list).  I just have to get used to thinking of the Space key in a
different way than it being a Space key and stuff like that is all :).

It would certainly be ironic if after thousands of such key presses I
then got so used to using keys like the Space key to do other than what
would be intuitive that I would start getting frustrated with my word
processor for not paging up and down at the press of the Space key :).
Maybe I will put a piece of masking tape on the Space key and label it
"PgUp" or something LOL. Better yet I should stop thinking of the space
key as a "space" key at all.  Perhaps I could retrain myself to think of
it as the LongKey or some such, since it is the longest key on the
keyboard :).  If I did that though I would cease to be able to
communicate about said key on mailing lists at all since people would
have no clue any longer as to what key I was referring to.

Sigh....the woes of user interface key binding :).

BTW, in the message list pane, they go up/down by 1 page, not to the
first/last message. Is this not the case for you - or do you just have
few enough messages that they are all visible at once?

You're right Brian.  The particular folder I was doing my little
"testing" on had few enough messages there that PgUp and PgDn did go up
or down to the first or last messages respectably.

Carlos

PS.  by the way ya all I was just using light humor to make a point when
I mentioned using a piece of masking tape with "PgDn" on the space key
and redefining it's name.  I hope everyone saw through my humor to my
point and did not take my humor too seriously :).